Japan Invoice Template

Create free Japan invoices online with VAT/JCT

You must obey Japanese VAT requirements if you have consumers in Japan, regardless of where you live or where your internet business is headquartered. That is the purpose of this guide. This tutorial covers all you need to know about Japan’s tax legislation.

Find out if you need to register for VAT in Japan and how to build a compliant tax invoice. As a business supplying goods or services to Japan, ensure that you are issuing tax invoices with all of the necessary information included. Simplify your VAT compliance in Japan with free invoice templates.

Invoicing in Japan

The Japanese consumption tax (JCT) is equivalent to a value-added tax (VAT) or sales tax. JCT will implement a new registration-based qualified invoice system on October 1, 2023. This shift will significantly influence domestic and international businesses that provide digital services to Japanese clients. The new qualified invoice system will offer new procedures for computing JCT and unique requirements, including invoice-specific requirements.

Aside from the changes in how JCT will be computed on future tax returns, taxpayers must be mindful of the implications for their internal systems, particularly the processes for sending and receiving invoices. This could require the creation of new procedures or the revision of old ones.
Taxpayers must now evaluate how these changes will affect their tax compliance and planning operations.

Japanese Consumption Tax registered businesses must produce compliant tax invoices, including all required details, as stipulated by NTA. Invoices must be delivered with every transaction and all records kept by the supplier.

Japan Invoice Requirements

✔ Business name and address
✔ VAT/JCT number
✔ Invoice date
✔ Unique, sequential invoice number
✔ Customer name and address
✔ Customer JCT/VAT number
✔ Gross sale amount including JCT
✔ Currency used
✔ Tax amount and tax rate applied to each item

Japan VAT Information for Invoicing

VAT is an indirect consumption tax that applies to the production and distribution of goods and services, and that is collected at each stage of the supply chain. VAT is collected from the end customer by the supplier and transferred by the supplier to the relevant tax authorities. In Japan, the indirect consumption tax applied to the supply of goods and services is called the Japan Consumption Tax (JCT).

JCT is collected on the supply of all taxable goods and services to Japan, including digital services, E-Commerce, and imports. The tax authority responsible for setting guidelines and enforcing JCT compliance is the National Tax Agency (NTA).

Japan VAT Rates

Japan Invoice VAT & CT Rates


The Japanese Consumption Tax carries a range of rates, depending on the type of supply:

VAT Rates & Types Included goods and services
10% – Standard Most goods and services supplied for consumption in Japan. The rate is comprised of both national and regional levies.
8% – Reduced Supply of food, non-alcoholic beverages, and certain subscription newspapers.
0% – Zero-rated Exports, transfer or the lease of exportable goods, and other export-related goods or services.
0% – Tax-Exempt The sale or lease of land, financial services, medical treatment, social service, tuition, residential rent, and education.

Once you have met the threshold for VAT/JCT registration, you will be required to comply with yearly tax returns to the NTA. Payment is due at the time of filing via an authorized bank or post office. Failing to submit returns on time can result in hefty fines and penalties, including high interest on outstanding JCT balances.

While foreign individuals and entities operating in Japan are liable for JCT, they are not generally eligible for consumption tax reclaim and refund. Furthermore, non-Japanese businesses must appoint a local tax agent to act on the entity’s behalf with regard to taxation.

If you are supplying goods and services to another VAT/JCT-registered business, you will be exempt from collecting tax. Rather, under the reverse-charge mechanism, the recipient of the supplies will assume liability for JCT.

Who Needs to Register for VAT/JCT in Japan?

The threshold for JCT registration is the same for local and foreign companies supplying goods or services in Japan or importing goods into Japan. Some taxable services include consultancy or marketing services, as well as charging entry to events or conferences. Foreign businesses storing inventory or distributing goods in Japan may also be liable for VAT. Once you are obligated to register, you will also be required to comply with on-going requirements, for example, maintaining records and filing tax returns.

The JCT threshold is JPY 10,000,000 of sales during any 12-month period, whether for foreign or local entities. In addition, start-ups that raise JPY 10,000,000 or more in capital will be immediately liable for JCT. If your business has sold less than or is expected to sell less than the threshold amount, you are not required to register.

Voluntary registration for companies that do not meet this threshold is possible. This is beneficial insofar as registered businesses may reclaim VAT/JCT. However, since foreign entities or individuals conducting business in Japan are not entitled to reclaim JCT, voluntary registration is inadvisable.

What’s Needed to Register for JCT?

Most businesses do not need to formally register for JCT. Once you have determined that you are liable for JCT, you will be obligated to collect, account for, and report JCT. Once you have filed your JCT for the first time, this will be considered registration, and you will be allocated a tax number and local tax office. This VAT registration number legally establishes your business in Japan and will be used in all tax-related activities.

E-Commerce businesses and digital service providers supplying Japanese customers and meeting the threshold requirement must register after appointing a local tax agent. Once you have determined that you are liable to collect JCT, you will be required to register.

An important requirement for foreign businesses liable for JCT in Japan is the mandatory appointment of a local tax agent.

To do so, you must supply the following information:

✔ Business name & address

✔ Proof of incorporation

✔ Business tax number

✔ Details about the services or goods supplied

✔ Name & personal information of tax agent, if applicable

English Translations for Japanese Invoice Terms

Japanese Romaji / Pronunciation English Translation
請求書 seikyushou Invoice
請求書番号 seikyushobango Invoice Number
日付 hizuke Date
宛先 atesaki Address
顧客名 kokyakumei Your Customer’s Name
株式会社 kabushikigaisha Japanese Share Limited Company
支払期日 shiharaikijitsu Payment Deadline
御社名 onshamei Your Company’s Name
詳細 shousai Description
単価 tanka Unit Price
数量 suuryou Amount
価格 kakaku Price
小計 shoukei A Subtotal
消費税額 shouhizeigaku Consumption Tax Amount
合計金額 goukeikingaku Sum Total Amount
口座名義 kouzameigi Bank Account Name
振込先 furikomisaki Bank Transfer Destination

Other Free Tools from FreeInvoiceBuilder

FreeInvoiceBuilder includes a range of customizable templates, including invoices with adjustable Tax(VAT) rates and currencies. It also includes invoice templates for specific industries and services like freelancing, social media, consulting, web development, app development, IT services, marketing, content writing, data specialist, video production, analyst, & much more. Our free tool is ideal for international merchants, freelancers, service providers, business owners, and independent contractors. Just customize the free printable templates and download your copy in PDF format. You can also generate other commercial documents like a receipt, quotation, estimate, purchase order, commercial invoice, & proforma invoice.


Will my clients see “FreeInvoiceBuilder” on the Japanese invoice?
Never, although our invoice generator is entirely free of cost, the generated Japanese invoices are completely unbranded.
Can I add my logo to personalize the Japanese invoice template?
You can easily drag or select your logo to the top left corner of the JCT invoice template and brand your business seamlessly.
Can I choose between different currency options?
Yes, FreeInvoiceBuilder provides you the option to choose any currency you trade in to create the Japanese consumption tax invoice with an accurate price.
Can I make a PDF Japanese invoice?
Yes, even if you don’t have a registered account, our invoice generator offers a customizable ready-made invoice template to create & instantly download the PDF copy of your Japanese invoice or save the information to use later.
How do I send a Japanese invoice?
Send the created PDF Japanese invoice electronically or print it. You can also share the link to your invoice so your client can download or print the invoice directly.
Do I need to register or make an account to create an invoice?
No, you don’t need to register or make an account to create an invoice however with an account you can save the invoices & information in the app for later use.
What exactly is the Japanese consumption tax?
The abbreviation for Japanese Consumption Tax is JCT. Consumers in Japan pay the Japan Consumption Tax (JCT) when they buy items. The JCT can be deducted from the input, lowering their tax.
Which sellers are required to obtain a JCT tax number?
If you match any of the following criteria, you must obtain a JCT tax number and pay tax as required:

1. The seller’s taxable sales surpass 10 million yen during the base period.
2. The seller’s taxable sales in the base period were less than 10 million yen, but they were greater than 10 million yen in the first half of the prior base year.

What happens if the JCT registration number isn’t registered?
After the compliant invoice retention system is implemented, the seller’s JCT registration number will be displayed on the invoice after the compliant invoice retention system is executed. To retain the invoice tax-deductible, the seller must apply for a registration number and submit it on the site.
Back To Top